google analytics

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ways To Save Money On Auto Repair

Some Simple Ways To Save Money On Car Repair

In an effort to save money in today’s economy, a lot of us have opted to hang on to our present vehicles and maintain them instead of purchasing new vehicles. If you’re like me, a check engine light ranks right up there with finding out you need a root canal – a big pain and expensive.

While I don’t know any way of minimizing the pain of a root canal, short of taking better care of your teeth, I do know some ways to take some of the sting out of your next auto repair bill.

Join an auto club. Some of the advantages of becoming a member of an auto club are obvious. Flat tire changes, battery jump-starts and towing are usually the first services that come to mind, but did you know some auto clubs offer discounts for repair at designated auto repair shops? Quite a few also offer extended warranty plans. You should compare auto club benefits to see which is more suited to your needs and budget before becoming a member.

Purchase an extended warranty. Whether the current warranty on your vehicle is ten years or thirty days, sooner or later it will expire. You should start checking out extended warranties before your current plan runs out. This will allow you to choose a plan that fits within your budget and covers as much of your vehicle as possible without being rushed into a decision you may regret later.


Buy an OBD Reader. OBD (On Board Diagnostic) Readers or Scanners are electronic gadgets that plug into an appointed outlet in your vehicle and give you the codes responsible for the warning lights on your dashboard. OBD Readers range in price from $25 and up. The advantages of having a OBD Reader at your disposal are priceless. Having an idea of what is going on with your vehicle before you take it to an auto repair shop can save you money and peace of mind. It also helps protect you from auto repair shops that are less than honest about your vehicle's problem or repair shops looking to pad your auto bill with unnecessary repairs.

Do you need to know what your codes are and don’t have a OBD Reader? Some auto parts stores, such as Auto Zone, will read your codes, and give you a printout to take to your mechanic for free.

Auto mechanic works on rally car
Ask up front about deductibles and discounts. It is no secret that times are tough. A lot of auto repair shops; especially franchises, offer coupons on their websites. Check websites for coupons. If you don’t see any coupons, don’t feel ashamed to ask the repair shop if they offer any kind of discounts. You’ll find that more than a few repair shops provide discounts but they don’t volunteer that information.

A word of advice, if your auto repair shop insists that they must do a diagnostic of their own to see what’s wrong with your vehicle, make sure that the cost of the diagnostic is deducted from the cost of the repairs. Be sure to ask before the diagnostic is done. If the cost is not deducted, maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

Buy your own auto parts. What is the breakdown for the costs of an auto repair? Parts plus labor. Labor costs are usually regulated by the state, but an auto shop can mark up the price of auto parts anywhere from twenty to fifty percent. I don’t know about you but I’d rather keep that money in my pocket and not put it in my mechanic’s. Another plus factor in purchasing your own parts is that many come with rebates, warranties and some even give you money back when you return the used part for recycling.

Auto parts stores, salvage yards, dealerships and the internet make it easy for you to acquire the parts you need. Being a member of some auto clubs, such as AAA, also help by giving you a discount at certain auto part stores or dealerships. When dealing with salvage yards, don’t be afraid to haggle over the price. Just remember to check around to get a general idea of how much others are asking for that particular used part. If you do not have an auto repair manual for your vehicle's make, model and year, you might want to consider purchasing one. You can also find some websites that let you download manufacturer manuals for free.

Don’t be intimidated by your mechanic. I don’t know how many times I have gone to an auto repair shop and once I have told them that I will be purchasing my own parts; they have given me ominous warnings about buying the wrong thing or have flat-out told me they do not allow it.


Maintaining your car is unavoidable, being stuck on the side of the highway with an immobile vehicle is avoidable (most of the time!). I am fifty-plus years old and have owned four cars in my lifetime. My fourth car purrs and responds better than my cranky cat. Believe it or not, I still see my first car, which I sold over fifteen years ago, zipping around town now and then. Boy I miss that car!  

Related articles

Auto Repair Resources at the Library (rochpublibrary.wordpress.com)

Trident auto repair, can I help you? (makethelogobigger.blogspot.com)

Where is There an Honest Auto Mechanic? (straightinfo.wordpress.com)

What Is OBD-II's Basic Knowledge (autotoolsmall.wordpress.com)

What Can Auto Communication Interface (ACI) Scanner Do (autotoolsmall.wordpress.com)

Avoiding Scams When Getting an Extended Auto Warranty (athingforcars.com)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is some really great advice for anyone looking to save on auto repair costs. I really liked your tip about buying your own parts, or even buying used. A lot of people don't even realize that it's an option, but getting parts from a parts puller or online can help you save big when you need to have your car serviced or repairs. Thanks so much for writing!
http://chabillstire.com/auto-repair-baton-rouge-la

Not Wired That Way said...

Thanks Paul. It does reduce the cost a lot. Recently my alternator went out. I wasn't looking forward to shelling out the $300 my friend had for the same problem months past. Fortunately since I purchased the alternator myself for $100, my cost at the mechanic's shop was only the $87 for labor. Plus, once I returned the used alternator to the auto parts store I got $30 back for recycling. My friend was not happy but my wallet sure was.

Unknown said...

You have some great tips here for saving on auto repairs. I had never thought to join an auto club before, that is a good idea. I would love to get discounts for certain shops and extended warranties, thanks for the tip! http://www.fixitcaravanrepairs.com.au/onsite-caravan-repairs

JM Automotive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.